Monday, November 26, 2007

Week 6: #15 On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0


Away from the "icebergs", by Rick Anderson: I couldn't agree with Anderson more! Look how far we've already come! All I have to do is to think back upon the time when I got my library degree in 1977 when there was no such thing as "technology", and compare it to today when you can't function in this world (at least the USA) without it. What is our professional future? I think it will be nearly 100% in cyber-space. Or, maybe we won't be needed anymore when we reach that point.
Into a new world of librarianship, by Michael Stephens. I had a hard time reading this blog, maybe it was the style. I think what the author stated is obvious - I think I'm getting sick of hearing the same rant - how librarianship needs to keep up technologically. OK. Then let's do it!
To more powerful ways to cooperate, by Chip Nilges. Forward thinking guy with some great ideas. I really liked the ideas of resource sharing network and virtual reference cooperative. His idea of having users contribute their expertise to the cooperative. Like wikis and blogs. I think that's where we're headed. Great idea about open WorldCat.
To a temporary place in time..., by Dr. Wendy Schultz. I'm not sure I agree with the author's placing such high importance, invinceability, on librarians. I don't think the patrons view us as any more important than sales people and travel agents, and look what happened to them! They are being replaced by the users ability to help themselves on the www. Will we librarians suffer the same fate?

No comments: